Subscribe: by Email | in Reader

The Idiot Boy -- Rudyard Kipling

       
(Poem #962) The Idiot Boy
 He wandered down the moutain grade
   Beyond the speed assigned--
 A youth whom Justice often stayed
   And generally fined.

 He went alone, that none might know
   If he could drive or steer.
 Now he is in the ditch, and Oh!
   The differential gear!
-- Rudyard Kipling
   (from 'The Muse Among the Motors')

Note: A parody of Wordsworth's "She Dwelt Among the Untrodden Ways"

Kipling was, as I have mentioned before, an endlessly versatile poet - a
fact that today's playful parody amply reveals. Like many humorous poems,
"The Idiot Boy" coasts along with an easy facility for most of its length,
saving its impact for the punchline at the end - a technique that when it
works, works well. And work well it certainly did here - the first time I
read the poem I laughed out loud at the unexpected wordplay in the last
line, and it still amuses me every time I think of it. Definitely one of
those lines I wish I'd thought of myself.

martin

Links:

  Kipling Biography: See Poem #17

  "She Dwelt Among the Untrodden Ways": Poem #376

  "Kipling as Motorist": [broken link] http://www.kipling.org.uk/facts_motor1.htm

11 comments: ( or Leave a comment )

Majid Ali said...

talking about and a little out of context, but now you mentioned red riding hood, do you hear about this new movie with paul graham essays Amanda Seyfried as the red riding hood,I have to watch this movie.

Anonymous said...

The financе proviԁerѕ tгansfеr the cell phone
cаsh through wіre tranѕfer mode and they wоuld ԁеposit
the granteԁ cash along with νaгіοus Τoгah сommentаries, in a cabinet in
my livіng room that I call the "ark."

Feel freе to visit mу wеb-site dien thoai

hp android said...

Good!. I am no longer certain the place you're getting your information, but good topic. And i like this post. Keep Sharing best article brade!

harga android
harga hp android
tablet android
tablet pc
acer android
samsung android
minimalist home
biggest houses in the world

Cheap Assignment Writers said...

I love this. It is soo informative. Are you also searching for cheap assignment writing help we are the best solution for you. We are best known for delivering the best services to students without having to break the bank

Post a Comment