Subscribe: by Email | in Reader

Abide with me -- Henry F Lyte

Guest poem submitted by Ira Cooper:
(Poem #1007) Abide with me
 Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;
 The darkness deepens; Lord with me abide.
 When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
 Help of the helpless, O abide with me.

 Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day;
 Earth's joys grow dim; its glories pass away;
 Change and decay in all around I see;
 O Thou who changest not, abide with me.

 Not a brief glance I beg, a passing word;
 But as Thou dwell'st with Thy disciples, Lord,
 Familiar, condescending, patient, free.
 Come not to sojourn, but abide with me.

 Come not in terrors, as the King of kings,
 But kind and good, with healing in Thy wings,
 Tears for all woes, a heart for every plea-
 Come, Friend of sinners, and thus bide with me.

 Thou on my head in early youth didst smile;
 And, though rebellious and perverse meanwhile,
 Thou hast not left me, oft as I left Thee,
 On to the close, O Lord, abide with me.

 I need Thy presence every passing hour.
 What but Thy grace can foil the tempter's power?
 Who, like Thyself, my guide and stay can be?
 Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me.

 I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless;
 Ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness.
 Where is death's sting? Where, grave, thy victory?
 I triumph still, if Thou abide with me.

 Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes;
 Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies.
 Heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee;
 In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.
-- Henry F Lyte
1847.

Since adolescence, this poem always has been a comfort to me. Years later,
it is especially so in these traumatic times.

Ira.

[Background]

Lyte was inspired to write this hymn as he was dying of tu­ber­cu­lo­sis; he
fin­ished it the Sun­day he gave his fare­well ser­mon in the par­ish he
served so ma­ny years. The next day, he left for Italy to re­gain his
health. He didn't make it, though -- he died in Nice, France, three weeks
af­ter writ­ing these words. For more than a century, the bells of his
church at All Saints in in Lower Brix­ham, Devon­shire, have rung out "Abide
with Me" daily. The hymn was sung at the wed­ding of King George VI of
Britain, and at the wed­ding of his daugh­ter, the fu­ture Queen Elizabeth
II.

 -- http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/a/b/abidewme.htm

31 comments: ( or Leave a comment )

Joshi Siddhartha said...

At the end of the Beating Retreat ceremony (held every year on the 29th of January) at Vijay Chowk, the bell towers (of Rashtrapati Bhawan; do they have a complete carillon? I would imagine so...) perform "Abide with me". If I remember correctly, they begin the tune and the massed bands take it up. The magnificent setting (Lutyens' Delhi), the chilly winter weather and colourful pageantry of the massed bands - and of course the atmosphere created by the music make for a truly memorable experience. As the last peals roll down Raisina Hill and die away, all the buildings around and including the north and south blocks light up - and the firework display begins.

PS: It is a fact that Gandhi loved this hymn.

PPS: A website with some info on the ceremony: [broken link] http://www.netfundu.com/26jan/beatingr.htm

Jerry Rao said...

It was a favourite of Mahatma Gandhi's......

Regards
Jerry Rao

Alice Clarke said...

I think it's because of it's links to the football but apparently this is one of the best known songs ever, scientists did tests on dementia patients and found this was the song most could remember. Interesting I think, and beautiful words.

Kerri said...

Such a beautiful hymn, even to a cynical old pagan like me. I attended the
memorial services at Gallipoli in Turkey on ANZAC Day in April 2001, and I
managed to hold my dignity together during the various components of the
Dawn Service. That is, of course, until we sang Abide With Me, whereupon I
dissolved into tears. Intensely moving.

Michael Gormley said...

What is required in order to have Jesus ABIDE in us and we in Him?

Can we do it:

1. By accepting Him as our our own personal Lord and Savior ?
No. Where does the Bible say that?

2. By the grace of GOD only? Sola Gracias?
No. Where does the Bible say that?

3. By faith in GOD alone? Sola Fides?
No. Where does the Bible say that?

It is simple common sense that since He commanded that we must do something, then doesn't it stand to reason that He would also tell us how to do it?

Jesus was very clear in what we must do in order to have Him ABIDE in us and we in Him.

Jesus left this command for us in John 6:53-57:

53 "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you (the taken away branch);

54 he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

56 HE WHO EATS MY FLESH AND DRINKS MY BLOOD ABIDES IN ME, AND I IN HIM.

57 As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me."

lowongan kerja said...

I get a lot of referrals from this site.
I also wrote in a blog: lowongan kerja 2013, lowongan kerja terbaru and info lowongan kerja.

William Smith said...

The article posted was very informative and useful. You people are doing a great job. Bhutan Travel | CHILD EDUCATION LAW | Keep going.

Obat Herbal said...

Seberat apapun beban masalah yang kamu hadapi saat ini, percayalah bahwa semua itu tidak pernah melebihi batas kemampuan kamu.

Lionel messi10 said...

Mengobati Kutil KemaluanDan cara pengobatan ini tentunya akan lebih menyakitkan dari pengobatan sebelumnya, tak jarang juga manakutkan penderitanya. Sinar lase akan diarahkan pada alat kelamin untuk membakar kutil-kutil yang bertumbuh. untuk cara pemesanana silahkan kunjungweb site ini

obat wasir tradisional untuk ibu menyusuiJika Anda sedang mencari obat alami untuk wasir ada beberapa hal yang dapat Anda lakukan untuk meringankan rasa sakit, iritasi dan ketidaknyamanan, serta ingin memperbaiki masalah Anda secara definitif.

obat keluar nanah dari kemaluanJika kedua penyakit ini menyerang ibu hamil, maka bayi dalam kandungan memiliki resiko yang besar untuk terinfeksi saat proses persalinan. Ketiga, munculnya penyakit ini adalah akibat kurangnya kesadaran akan pentingnya memiliki hubungan seksual yang sehat dengan pemakaian kondom atau tidak berganti-ganti pasangan saat melakukan hubungan seks.untuk cara pemesanana silahkan kunjungklik disin

Obat Kutil Di Kemaluan PriaApakah Pengobatan Herbal Adalah Cara Terbaik Untuk Menyembuhkan Kutil Kelamin?untuk cara pemesanana silahkan kunjungblog kami

obat keluar nanah dari kemaluanYang kedua, pastikan pasangan seksual anda sehat dan tidak memiliki masalah dengan penyakit menular. Dan ketiga, cobalah setia dengan satu pasangan dan hindari bergonta-ganti pasangan saat berhubungan seks.untuk cara pemesanana silahkan kunjungklik disin

Obat Kutil Di KemaluanSeperti yang kita tahu bahwa penyebab utama penyakit kutil kelamin ini adalah Virus Papilloma yang jika tidak dikendalikan maka akan mudah datang kembali. untuk cara pemesanana silahkan kunjungsitus kami

Obat Kutil Di Sekitar KelaminEkstrak obat herbal ini dapat dengan mudah dicerna tubuh dan menyembuhkan secara alami dari dalam, tanpa efek samping seperti pengobatan kimia lainya. untuk cara pemesanana silahkan kunjungblog ini

Post a Comment