Subscribe: by Email | in Reader

Balloon Fight -- Roger McGough

       
(Poem #1335) Balloon Fight
    'This morning, the American, Steve Fossett, ended his Round-The-World
    balloon fight...I'm sorry, balloon "flight"...in northern India.'
        - The Today Programme, Radio 4, 20 January 1997

 It ended in Uttar Pradesh.
 It had to.
 You can't go around the world
 attacking people with balloons
 and expect to get away with it.

 What may be mildly amusing
 at children's parties
 in Upper Manhattan
 will not seem so funny ha ha
 on the Falls Road.

 How Fossett fought his way
 across the former Yugoslavia
 I'll never know.
 Some folk never grow up.
 Hang on to their childhood.

 Believing in the Tooth Fairy,
 watched over by the Man in the Moon.
 Thank you, Mr Newsreader,
 for bringing him down to earth.
 For bursting his balloon.
-- Roger McGough
I had to laugh out loud when I read this poem, at the sheer *image* of our
intrepid hero working his way around the world and hitting unsuspecting
people with balloons.

As a child, McGough came as something of a revelation - I had always loved
poetry, but only if it rhymed and scanned. McGough was the first poet to
show me that modern poetry could be pleasurable, and here, watching him turn
a simple slip of the tongue into a wonderful piece of whimsy, I'm glad to
say that the magic hasn't faded.

martin

7 comments: ( or Leave a comment )

Anustup Datta said...

Great find, Martin. Made my morning.

Regards
Anustup

price per head online said...

I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles an i keep a nice post

Unknown said...

I really like your blog and have one with similar information. If you have time check it out.
free psychic readings

Hampton bay lighting and ceiling fans online stores information said...

I am no longer certain the place you're getting your information, but good topic. And i like this post. Keep Sharing best article! I will came back to read next article.

Post a Comment