Subscribe: by Email | in Reader

Nonadaptation -- Czeslaw Milosz

Guest poem submitted by Sarah Korah :
(Poem #1731) Nonadaptation
 I was not made to live anywhere except in Paradise.

 Such, simply, was my genetic inadaptation.

 Here on earth every prick of a rose-thorn changed into a wound.
 whenever the sun hid behind a cloud, I grieved.

 I pretended to work like others from morning to evening,
 but I was absent, dedicated to invisible countries.

 For solace I escaped to city parks, there to observe
 and faithfully describe flowers and trees, but they changed,
 under my hand, into the gardens of Paradise.

 I have not loved a woman with my five senses.
 I only wanted from her my sister, from before the banishment.

 And I respected religion, for on this earth of pain
 it was a funereal and a propitiatory song.
-- Czeslaw Milosz
As a statement of intent, and as a memorable first line, Milosz makes things
very clear by saying "I was not made to live anywhere except in Paradise".
Yet in typical Milosz style, what follows is NOT a funny, escapist take on
life. Instead we're treated to 13 lines of intelligent, memorable poetry.

It amuses me that whenever I quote from this poem, I tend to choose the
light hearted lines ("I pretended to work like others from morning to
evening, but I was absent, dedicated to invisible countries.").. and people
naturally assume that it's from a funny poem. Talk of taking a quote out of
context !

Czeslaw Milosz's bio, and more of his poems, can be found on minstrels at
  http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/1599.html

Sarah Korah.

28 comments: ( or Leave a comment )

rebeccathomas said...

Thank you Sarah for sending this poem in. Milosz has put into words what
most of us feel. RT

Anonymous said...

Christian Louboutin shoes
about become a individual artefact in this year's a lot of In trend. Top 5 Spring/Summer 2010 Christian Louboutin Boots
Luxury About in every affair and awards ceremony, which accomplish Christian Louboutin Pumps
became the most. Christian Louboutin Sandals
is a built-in Paris man.

Anonymous said...

Christian Louboutin shoes
about become a individual artefact in this year's a lot of In trend. Top 5 Spring/Summer 2010 Christian Louboutin Boots
Luxury About in every affair and awards ceremony, which accomplish Christian Louboutin Pumps
became the most. Christian Louboutin Sandals
is a built-in Paris man.

Ideas de negocios said...

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, but I am firmly convinced of this and love to learn more about the subject. If possible, acquire knowledge, would you update your blog with more information? It is very helpful to me

Unknown said...

Given article is very helpful and very useful for my admin, and pardon me permission to share articles here hopefully helped :

Obat jantung koroner paling ampuh
Obat kista bartholin agar cepat pecah

Riko JR said...

I can only express a word of thanks. Because with the content on this blog I can add knowledge I, thank has been sharing this information. Do not forget to visit our website to share information and knowledge about health.
Obat ITP Di Apotik Untuk Anak
Obat Herbal Penyakit Muntaber
DISTRIBUTOR QNC JELLY GAMAT
obat Benjolan Di pipi / wajah
obat benjolan lipoma

Aulia said...

You were the shadow to my light
Did you feel us
Another start
You fade away
Afraid our aim is out of sight
Wanna see us
Alive

Obat Batu Ginjal
Obat Vertigo
Obat Laringitis
Obat Penambah Hb Darah

Lutfi Kurniawan said...

Deep in the dark I don't need the light
There's a ghost inside me
It all belongs to the other side
We live, we love, we lie

Obat Penghancur Lipoma
Obat Pembengkakan Hati
Obat Tradisional Penyumbatan Usus

Post a Comment