Subscribe: by Email | in Reader

The Weary Blues -- Langston Hughes

Guest poem submitted by Janice:
(Poem #1876) The Weary Blues
 Droning a drowsy syncopated tune,
 Rocking back and forth to a mellow croon,
 I heard a Negro play.
 Down on Lenox Avenue the other night
 By the pale dull pallor of an old gas light
 He did a lazy sway . . .
 He did a lazy sway . . .
 To the tune o' those Weary Blues.
 With his ebony hands on each ivory key
 He made that poor piano moan with melody.
 O Blues!
 Swaying to and fro on his rickety stool
 He played that sad raggy tune like a musical fool.
 Sweet Blues!
 Coming from a black man's soul.
 O Blues!
 In a deep song voice with a melancholy tone
 I heard that Negro sing, that old piano moan--
 "Ain't got nobody in all this world,
 Ain't got nobody but ma self.
 I's gwine to quit ma frownin'
 And put ma troubles on the shelf."

 Thump, thump, thump, went his foot on the floor.
 He played a few chords then he sang some more--
 "I got the Weary Blues
 And I can't be satisfied.
 Got the Weary Blues
 And can't be satisfied--
 I ain't happy no mo'
 And I wish that I had died."
 And far into the night he crooned that tune.
 The stars went out and so did the moon.
 The singer stopped playing and went to bed
 While the Weary Blues echoed through his head.
 He slept like a rock or a man that's dead
-- Langston Hughes
I started out by reading this poem like I read any other poem... and I found
that I fell into a rhythm, swaying, saying the words softly under my
breath... I could feel the smoky, dim atmosphere fill my room... I could
hear the blues player in my head, in front of me, all around me. This is a
poem, like the blues, that is pervasive, and all-encompassing, touched by
melancholy, it stays with you.

I read that Langston Hughes used to write his poetry sitting in little blues
bars... and I think that out of all his poems this one captures the fact
beautifully. Read it over and over again... you still fall into that
rhythm... it's got you by the collar!

janice.

18 comments: ( or Leave a comment )

Anonymous said...

DAMN YOU

Jeremy said...

This poem had taken my breath out! Really, as I read it over and over again it is making huge impact on my mind!

Jeremy@Ejaculation Trainer 101

Alat Bantu Romantis Warga pria wanita said...

I was air-thank you all for the information you have created here. san jaya hopefully more successful.
toko alat bantu, menjual berbagai macam penis dan vagina silikon, atau alat bantu seks yang dapat di gunakan untuk pelampiasan hasrat seksual pria dan wanita, alat bantu sex pasutri. / toys wanita.

Unknown said...

JSolusi yang tepat untuk mengobati penyakit wasir tanpa harus operasi, menggunakan obat wasir  Paling ampuh dari De Nature dan terbaik ada hanya di http://obatwasirme.blogspot.com untuk mendapatkan informasi yang lebih jelas mengenai pengobatan wasir silahkan kontak langsung di nomer 0852 808 77 999 atau 0859 7373 5656 Bagaimana mengobati Ambeien itu sendiri. pengobatan yang terbaik untuk Ambeien adalah dari luar dan dalam sehingga Ambeien benar benar tuntas dan tidak akan kambuh lagi. obat Ambeien terbaik "Ambeclear dari De Nature" Adalah obat Ambeien herbal yang memang terbaik untuk mengobati Ambeien, dan sudah terdaftar di badan obat dan makanan (BPOM) dengan nomer registrasi POM TR: 133 374 041. terbuat dari bahan alami antara lain terdiri Daung Ungu, Mahkota Dewa dan Kunyit Putih.

Unknown said...

Kutil dalam istilah medis disebut Papilloma. Papilloma itu sebenarnya
sejenis tumor jinak pada kulit, berasal dari penebalan lapisan luar
kulit yang berlebihan. Bentuk kutil ini bisa bermacam-macam.

Post a Comment