Subscribe: by Email | in Reader

The Smoking Frog -- Robert Service

Guest poem sent in by Dave Mueller
(Poem #1137) The Smoking Frog
 Three men I saw beside a bar,
 Regarding o'er their bottle,
 A frog who smoked a rank cigar
 They'd jammed within its throttle.

 A Pasha frog it must have been
 So big it was and bloated;
 And from its lips the nicotine
 In graceful festoon floated.

 And while the trio jeered and joked,
 As if it quite enjoyed it,
 Impassively it smoked and smoked,
 (It could not well avoid it).

 A ring of fire its lips were nigh
 Yet it seemed all unwitting;
 It could not spit, like you and I,
 Who've learned the art of spitting.

 It did not wink, it did not shrink,
 As there serene it squatted'
 Its eyes were clear, it did not fear
 The fate the Gods allotted.

 It squatted there with calm sublime,
 Amid their cruel guying;
 Grave as a god, and all the time
 It knew that it was dying.

 And somehow then it seemed to me
 These men expectorating,
 Were infinitely less than he,
 The dumb thing they were baiting.

 It seemed to say, despite their jokes:
 "This is my hour of glory.
 It isn't every frog that smokes:
 My name will live in story."

 Before its nose the smoke arose;
 The flame grew nigher, nigher;
 And then I saw its bright eyes close
 Beside that ring of fire.

 They turned it on its warty back,
 From off its bloated belly;
 It legs jerked out, then dangled slack;
 It quivered like a jelly.

 And then the fellows went away,
 Contented with their joking;
 But even as in death it lay,
 The frog continued smoking.

 Life's like a lighted fag, thought I;
 We smoke it stale; then after
 Death turns our belly to the sky:
 The Gods must have their laughter.
-- Robert Service
Comment:

My favorite Robert Service poem: Without pretense, he simply, sardonically
documents three men at a bar enjoying an inconsequential diversion. But how
do we, the victim in this saga, endure our fate? Pleased, because our
importance and the glory of our death ensures that our name will live on?
Nope; Service tells us it is a 'Pasha' frog, and documents its suffering --
but, what was its name? Instead we stoically proceed to our ridiculous
destiny for the horribly mundane reason that we cannot avoid it.  In this
poem, I think more than any other, Service skewers the concept of the
benevolent Sunday-school God.

Dave

[Martin adds]

While the last verse is clearly inspired by Shakespeare's

 As flies to wanton boys, are we to the gods,
 They kill us for their sport

from King Lear, I actually find Service's use of "laughter" more effective
than the bard's "sport".

19 comments: ( or Leave a comment )

mc said...

Reminds me of a line I remember from Jr. High School:

"Though boys throw stones at frogs in sport, the frogs die not in sport but in earnest."

I think it's from a classical Greek poet, Bion of Smyrna.

00adamsa said...

weird poem

Anonymous said...

Very nice poem, I think you need more time to add classic poems, what about the Russians poets? they're the best in this art. I think you're ignore that. Anyway thanks for the information on this blog! I find it very interesting and entertaining! hopefully soon have updates that I love your post!

Penis Enlargement said...

I am thoroughly convinced in this said post. I am currently searching for ways in which I could enhance my knowledge in this said topic you have posted here. It does help me a lot knowing that you have shared this information here freely. I love the way the people here interact and shared their opinions too. I would love to track your future posts pertaining to the said topic we are able to read.

Inversiones en petroleo said...

Good morning, I like to find information to help me grow as a person, thanks for sharing this valuable information, good job

Invertir en oro said...

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about information and love learning more on this.

Ideas de negocios said...

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, but I am firmly convinced of this and love to learn more about the subject. If possible, acquire knowledge, would you update your blog with more information? It is very helpful to me

Anonymous said...

Hi, I would like to subscribe for this website to obtain newest updates,
so where can i do it please help out.
Feel free to surf my weblog top ways to make money online

Anonymous said...

Magnificent website. Plenty of useful information here. I am sending it to some buddies
ans additionally sharing in delicious. And of course, thanks to
your sweat!

My homepage :: dolnoslaska agencja reklamowa

Unknown said...

The Smoking Frog was my first memorized performance piece for school 30 yrs ago & has stuck with me. As a native Alaskan & a child of the pre-tourism development, Mr. Service spoke a language I understood then and still hold dear.Although he was expressing the Yukon, he told stories that I saw in the people (& their sensibilities) around me. His format may sometimes be archaic but in that, I find comfort.

Toko alat bantu sex pria wanita said...

saya suka bisa datang berkunjungi ke sini, dan mohon ijin sberbagi info tentang toko alat bantu, yg jual alat sex, alat bantu sex pria, alat bantu sex wanita.

Micheal Clark said...

Your articles make whole sense of every topic.black freakshow rda

TheJaytheist said...

I owe you a debt of gratitude for this clue by four. Thank you so much!

usma ayurvedic clinic said...

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I’ve truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. If you facing any sexual issue You can contactsex doctor online consultation

Post a Comment