Subscribe: by Email | in Reader

The Force that Through the Green Fuse Drives the Flower -- Dylan Thomas

       
(Poem #58) The Force that Through the Green Fuse Drives the Flower
  The force that through the green fuse drives the flower
  Drives my green age; that blasts the roots of trees
  Is my destroyer.
  And I am dumb to tell the crooked rose
  My youth is bent by the same wintry fever.

  The force that drives the water through the rocks
  Drives my red blood; that dries the mouthing streams
  Turns mine to wax.
  And I am dumb to mouth unto my veins
  How at the mountain spring the same mouth sucks.

  The hand that whirls the water in the pool
  Stirs the quicksand; that ropes the blowing wind
  Hauls my shroud sail.
  And I am dumb to tell the hanging man
  How of my clay is made the hangman's lime.

  The lips of time leech to the fountain head;
  Love drips and gathers, but the fallen blood
  Shall calm her sores.
  And I am dumb to tell a weather's wind
  How time has ticked a heaven round the stars.

  And I am dumb to tell the lover's tomb
  How at my sheet goes the same crooked worm.
-- Dylan Thomas
Few poets manage to be simultaneously as lyrical and as powerful as Dylan
Thomas. The poem above is a perfect example - images are stark, yet with a
compelling beauty that both attracts and chills the reader. This poem did
take me a while to appreciate, but it is definitely one of those that
improve with rereading. The insistent rhythm, the reinforcing of images and
the repetitive construction all combine to stick it in the reader's mind, in
a manner characteristic of Thomas.

Note, in passing, the thematic similarity to 'Do Not Go Gentle'.

m.

22 comments: ( or Leave a comment )

Sweetie1530 said...

THe bottom of the page you wrote says that there is a line by line anaylsis
of the poem
The Force that Through the Green Fuse Drives the Flower

I tried to click the link and it did not open. Can you help me? Please
write back ASAP for I need the anaylsis for a paper.
thank you,
sarah

Jeffrey Custer said...

Thank you. You just helped me get an actually decent grade in english i hope. Shes a bitch and fails all my writtings. YOU RULE MAN.

BRYARNO said...

omg thanks so mch 4 tht link i dont get the poem at all n had 2 write an
alevel essay on it. thanks so mch now i rekon i mite not fail it :D

Penis Enlargement Pills said...

I am thoroughly convinced in this said post. I am currently searching for ways in which I could enhance my knowledge in this said topic you have posted here. It does help me a lot knowing that you have shared this information here freely. I love the way the people here interact and shared their opinions too. I would love to track your future posts pertaining to the said topic we are able to read.

Anonymous said...

Thanks

Your Dude said...

In lots of ways, Dylan Thomas is the heir of John Keats. By Hopkins. Dylan Thomas has Keatsâs same auditory richness,jogos de moto the same passion & hallucinatory linguistic response to the experience of life. His poetic sensibility, like Keats��s, is based on the traditional forms of English poetry, & deeply rooted in the rhythmic power of Shakespearian iambic.

Anonymous said...

car loan

Your post is very useful. You helped me a lot deciphering the meaning behind each words. Poems confuses me a lot, if I say so myself.

Anonymous said...

If you want to obtain much from this article then you have
to apply these techniques to your won weblog.

My website - how much should i weigh chart

Unknown said...

Nice Post, Thanks for your very useful information... I will bookmark for next reference

Anonymous said...

Vitamin telah diketahui tidak berguna untuk mencegah kanker, walaupun tingkat yang rendah dari vitamin D berhubungan dengan peningkatan resiko kanker. Apakah ini merupakan sebab akibat dan suplemen vitamin D bersifat melindungi tidak pernah dinyatakan. Suplemen Beta-Carotene telah diketahui meningkatkan kanker paru-paru pada mereka yang beresiko tinggi. Asam folat telah diketahui tidak berguna untuk mencegah kanker usus, bahkan justru menuingkatkan terjadinya polip pada usus besar. Tidak jelas apakah suplemen selenium mempunyai efek pengobatan/pencegahan. selain itu, seiring dengan perkembangan jaman, kini pengobatan penyakit ini sudah banyak di lakukan secara herbal, salah satunya dengan menggunakan produk ziirzax dan typhogell, dan untuk info lebih lengkap, silahkan baca spesifikasi produk obat kanker ziirzax dan typhogell.

unsgu said...

all of which served to make me salute, this site is full of helpful information and news that, hopefully with the frequently updated to make this website more useful lagi..thx Simple Home Interior Design | Price And Specification Nissan Juke (NEW), Unique Cars and Luxury 2015 | Falling Flying Aeromobil Cars When Tested Try | Specifications and Price Honda NM4 Vultus

Anonymous said...

For those looking for a literary getaway, viod scan transforms into a paradise thanks to its amazing assortment of publications across several genres.

Post a Comment