Subscribe: by Email | in Reader

The Embarrassing Episode of Little Miss Muffet -- Guy Wetmore Carryl

       
(Poem #94) The Embarrassing Episode of Little Miss Muffet
Little Miss Muffet discovered a tuffet,
(Which never occurred to the rest of us)
And, as 'twas a June day, and just about noonday,
She wanted to eat - like the rest of us:
Her diet was whey, and I hasten to say
It is wholesome and people grow fat on it.
The spot being lonely, the lady not only
Discovered the tuffet, but sat on it.

A rivulet gabbled beside her and babbled,
As rivulets always are thought to do,
And dragon flies sported around and cavorted,
As poets say dragon flies ought to do;
When, glancing aside for a moment, she spied
A horrible sight that brought fear to her,
A hideous spider was sitting beside her,
And most unavoidably near to her!

Albeit unsightly, this creature politely Said: "
Madam, I earnestly vow to you,
I'm penitent that I did not bring my hat.
I Should otherwise certainly bow to you."
Thought anxious to please, he was so ill at ease
That he lost all his sense of propriety,
And grew so inept that he clumsily stept
In her plate - which is barred in Society.

This curious error completed her terror;
She shuddered, and growing much paler, not
Only left tuffet, but dealt him a buffet
Which doubled him up in a sailor knot.
It should be explained that at this he was pained:
He cried: "I have vexed you, no doubt of it!
Your fists's like a truncheon." "You're still in my luncheon,"
Was all that she answered. "Get out of it!"

And the Moral is this: Be it madam or miss
To whom you have something to say,
You are only absurd when you get in the curd
But you're rude when you get in the whey.
-- Guy Wetmore Carryl
Guy Carryl has written a number of wonderfully funny versifications of
fables and fairytales, collected in 'Fables for the Frivolous' and a few
other books. (Those of you familiar with Roald Dahl's 'Revolting Rhymes'
might find it fun to compare the two.) The one above is typical -
complicated rhymes, a metre reminiscent of Gilbert[1] and a wonderful (or
awful, depending on your point of view) pun at the end.

[1] for the G&S fans among you, this one almost, but not quite, scans to the
Lord Chancellor's song from Iolanthe ("when you're lying awake, with a
dismal headache...")

m.

18 comments: ( or Leave a comment )

D Brian said...

I think the fourth line ought to be:
"She wanted to eat - like the best of us."
- since poets usually try to avoid rhyming a word with itself. Some online versions have "rest", others "best".

John & Cynthia Hutchinson said...

Indeed, Brian.

This transcription sorely suffers.
Must have been done by duffers,
Inept at copying and reading proof.
The fifth line in the third verse
Holds another blunder--much worse--
Enough to send the reader through the roof.

My father introduced me to Carryl. I showed his work to my daughter. None of
us has regrets.
Regard,
John

Russell said...

two blatant errors in the text have been kindly pointed out by readers. why haven't the editors corrected them by now?

puer senex

Marc Golden said...

This person did not write this poem in 1999. I had this poem in a 3 or four
set collection of poetry books when I was a child. I bought them at a yard
sale and these books had been written in the 1940's.

Please check it out.

Penis Enlargement Pills said...

I am thoroughly convinced in this said post. I am currently searching for ways in which I could enhance my knowledge in this said topic you have posted here. It does help me a lot knowing that you have shared this information here freely. I love the way the people here interact and shared their opinions too. I would love to track your future posts pertaining to the said topic we are able to read.

Penis Enlargement Pills said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I think I will leave my first comment.
I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog.
I will keep visiting this blog very often.
By the way,
Blogger how when you visit my blog,
My Blog have been created for the satisfaction of consumer of all.

saim said...

Interesting post !!! i love to see it, when people need such type of site. which has great information about this topic... Great for new generation..
Thanks..


natural minerals
best naturals
buy curcumin

Space Matters Real Estates said...

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I will definitely return. Plots for sale in Hyderabad
Plots for sale in Banjara Hills
Plots for sale in Jubilee Hills
Plots for sale in Manikonda
Plots for sale in Madhapur
Plots for sale in kondapur
Plots for sale in Gachibowli
Plots for sale in Kukatpally

Paul Reed said...

Thanks for the sharing, this blog is very intersting. Hotel Cleaning Services | WOMEN'S FASHION PRODUCTS | It's very informarmative and very knowladgeable blog.

Post a Comment