Subscribe: by Email | in Reader

Ithaka -- Constantine Cavafy

Guest poem sent in by Vikram Doctor
(Poem #217) Ithaka
  As you set out for Ithaka
  hope the journey is a long one,
  full of adventure, full of discovery.
  Laistrygonians and Cyclops,
  angry Poseidon - don't be afraid of them:
  you'll never find things like that on your way
  as long as you keep your thoughts raised high,
  as long as a rare excitement
  stirs your spirit and your body.
  Laistrygonians and Cyclops,
  wild Poseidon - you won't encounter them
  unless you bring them along inside your soul,
  unless your soul sets them up in front of you.

  Hope the voyage is a long one.
  may there be many a summer morning when,
  with what pleasure, what joy,
  you come into harbours seen for the first time;
  may you stop at Phoenician trading stations
  to buy fine things,
  mother of pearl and coral, amber and ebony,
  sensual perfume of every kind -
  as many sensual perfumes as you can;
  and may you visit many Egyptian cities
  to gather stores of knowledge from their scholars.

  Keep Ithaka always in your mind.
  Arriving there is what you are destined for.
  But do not hurry the journey at all.
  Better if it lasts for years,
  so you are old by the time you reach the island,
  wealthy with all you have gained on the way,
  not expecting Ithaka to make you rich.

  Ithaka gave you the marvellous journey.
  without her you would not have set out.
  She has nothing left to give you now.

  And if you find her poor, Ithaka won't have fooled you.
  Wise as you will have become, so full of experience,
  you will have understood by then what these Ithakas mean.
-- Constantine Cavafy
      (translated by Edmund Keeley and Philip Sherrard)

Some years back when I was despairing about the cost of New Year Cards,
though still wanting to send them out as a slightly shame faced, but still
useful once-in-a-year way of keeping in touch with people, I decided to
print a poem I liked on good hand made paper and send it out instead. I was
a bit apprehensive, since it seemed rather a precious idea, but I found that
people really liked it, and now say they look forward to it. It confirms my
feeling that most people have a latent ability to love poetry, which is
suppressed and scared into hiding by our appalling educational system.

I think I sent out Ithaka the third or fourth year I did it and after that I
noticed something. This was one poem people seemed to keep. I've come across
my New Year card pinned onto several people's softboards, and people have
asked me for copies. Ithaka automatically strikes a chord with people, which
is hardly surprising since its such a simple poem, and what it says is
something most of us know instinctively to be true. I like the images as
well - the shop sailing into a harbour on a summer morning, and the fabulous
bazaars and souks. And the last line leaves you with just enough balance
between clarity and ambiguity to stop the poem falling flat. This is one of
the great ones.

about Cavafy.

Cavafy is one of the greats too. I don't have much biographical matter with
me at the moment, but then in terms of major events there really isn't much.
He was born into the Greek community in Alexandria in 1863, when Alexandria
was still quite a Greek city. He lived there all his life, in moderate
obscurity. I think he was reasonably well off, so didn't have to do much
work. Alexandria in his time was in its last gasp of greatness, a
cosmopolitan, lively, with a large expat community, Westernised, yet
mysteriously 'Eastern' as well - if one is to take Lawrence Durrell's
Alexandria Quartet, which I'm sure we all read as impressionable teenagers,
as a guide.

Cavafy must have fit very well into this hothouse atmosphere. His poems talk
both about the city's glorious past in the time of Alexander and the
Ptolemies. And they talk about its sensuous present in perhaps the most
homoerotic poetry of this century (which has, of course, lead to him being
labeled as the great gay poet of this century. But luckily, I think he
transcends the annoying limitations of such a label - Cavafy is great on any
terms, gay or otherwise.

There is a deliberately antique feel, I think, to the poems - possibly
because he wrote in a rather archaic and formal version of Greek. This comes
through in translation - there is a sort of formal, faintly mannered quality
to them, which adds, rather than detracts from their quality. He died in
1933.

I'd just like to add that I visited Alexandria last year, obviously in
homage to Cavafy, but sadly the Alexandria he writes about has mostly
vanished. There are few Greeks left in Alexandria today - one cafe where you
get Egyptian food with Greek names, the sea front cafes, and Cavafy's house,
which is maintained by the Greek government. I dragged my boyfriend through
the back roads to find it, though unfortunately just got there after it
closed. Alexandria is a nice place today - a pleasant provincial town, with
a lovely location spread across a bay and a strong sea breeze blowing and
nice laid back people. But of Cavafy's sensual city, and the world of the
Alexandria Quartet there is nothing left beyond what's written.

Vikram Doctor

21 comments: ( or Leave a comment )

Ruth A Pierce said...

Thank you for publishing Ithaka on the web. During the past
20 years, I have tried to find this poem. I had typed a
copy from my college days when a student at Holy Cross.
However, I had not written down the source or author. I was
pleasantly surprised to find it, when I did a web search. I
am giving it to our au pair in a notebook of keepsakes as
she leaves after a year with our family.

I have kept Ithaka as a reminder to myself, especially when
I have taken a road less traveled - it is the journey, not
the destination that is important.

Thank you again,

Ruth Pierce
Santa Cruz, California

shaul said...

At last
I’ve been searching for this poem for about 10 years now.
I got to read only little segment of it, translated to Hebrew in a local
Israeli magazine, and I’ve been looking for it OLE_LINK1ever since.
Thank you for publishing it.

Shaul Someh
Israel

P. Srikant said...

This poem will always be very special to IIM
Calcuttans - Professor Leena Chatterjee discussed it
in Management of Self ..

Anonymous said...

This poem was read today at the Commemoration celebrating the life of Sir Kenneth Dover, one of the world's greatest Greek scholars, who sadly passed away recently. It was the perfect choice.

javahostindo web hosting indonesia said...

Great stuff from you, man. Ive read your stuff before and youre just too awesome. I love what youve got here, love what youre saying and the way you say it. You make it entertaining and you still manage to keep it smart. I cant wait to read more from you. This is really a great blog.

video conferencing said...

I have read articles about of this topic but this is unique is very interesting and it has a lot of good information and it was very useful for me... Keep doing that good job thanks for all…

miami office space said...

very warm greetings to all readers of this blog, regarding this article I would like to add that I found very creative, some time ago I tried to blog and the result was not very good, apart this I believe that the information is also cool. In general, congratulations to all who are related to the creation of this article.

vigrx plus said...

penis enlargement, penis enlargement pills, male enhancement, male enhancement pills

Penis enlargement pills have been proven is the best way to make the penis bigger and effective to increase men’s sexual performance.vimax pills, vigrx plus, prosolution pills, maleextra

Anonymous said...

canada goose jackets sale online Denmark Canada, UK,
goose trillium parka jackets womens online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
goose freestyle vest sale online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Goose Chilliwack Bomber online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada Goose Mens Citadel coats online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada Goose Expedition Parka sale online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
canada goose snow mantra parka Jackets online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada Goose Yorkville Parka online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada Goose Womens Chilliwack Parka online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada Goose Womens Expedition Parka online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada Goose Womens Kensington Parka online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
womens Goose Montebello Parka online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
womens Goose Solaris Parka online sale Denmark Canada, UK.

maya nurul said...

It is best to participate in a contest for among the best blogs on the web. I'll recommend this website!
Vigrx indonesia, Vimax Indonesia Enhance VigRX Plus metropathies Vimax france Amp Do Vimax pills really work mastoidal
More Info:
Toko Vimax & VigRX Plus|Vimax Singapore|Vimax France|Vimax & VigRX Online|Vimax Malaysia|VigRX Plus | VigRX Indonesia

Anonymous said...

Right here is the right blog for anyone who would like to find out about this topic.

You know a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you (not that
I really will need to…HaHa). You definitely put a fresh spin on a
subject which has been written about for a long time.
Excellent stuff, just excellent!

Also visit my blog post - tao badass ezgprodurl

Anonymous said...

What i do not understood is in fact how you're no longer actually a lot more smartly-preferred than you may be now. You're so intelligent.
You already know thus significantly with regards to this topic, produced me in my opinion consider
it from so many various angles. Its like women and men are not fascinated except it's something to do with Girl gaga! Your personal stuffs nice. All the time take care of it up!

Look into my web site :: tao system joshua pellicer

Anonymous said...

Hey! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if
you knew where I could locate a captcha plugin for
my comment form? I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having problems finding one?
Thanks a lot!

My webpage: pdf the tao of badass

Anonymous said...

Hello! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche.
Your blog provided us valuable information to work on.
You have done a extraordinary job!

Also visit my web blog used cars

Diakui.com said...

News you wrote is very nice and made ​​me feel at home reading on your website. But I apologize in advance because I wanted to ask you to read the article kata kata lucu, kata kata mutiara, kata kata romantis, kata kata bijak, kata kata cinta, pakar seo and many other interesting articles that can be read on my website ( pasang iklan ).

Paul Reed said...

Thanks for the sharing, this blog is very interesting. Hotel and Travel Representative | HOTEL AND TRAVEL SERVICES | It's very informative and very knowledgeable blog.

Post a Comment