Subscribe: by Email | in Reader

Child -- Sylvia Plath

Guest poem submitted by Dan Percival :
(Poem #366) Child
Your clear eye is the one absolutely beautiful thing.
I want to fill it with color and ducks,
The zoo of the new
Whose name you meditate--
April snowdrop, Indian pipe,
Little

Stalk without wrinkle,
Pool in which images
Should be grand and classical

Not this troublous
Wringing of hands, this dark
Ceiling without a star.
-- Sylvia Plath
This is one of those poems I am often tempted to call the best in the
English language.  Though "free verse," the meter and sound are
carefully structured to support the poem's literal and emotional
content.  I haven't seen any piece of writing that more poignantly and
subtly expresses both the hope for a new beginning that a child inspires
and the foreboding that the hurtful constructions of the adult world
will shape each new life and re-enact themselves.  I wish I had the
leisure to describe this in more detail...

I found a bio of Plath at
http://metalab.unc.edu/cheryb/women/Sylvia-Plath--bio and a shorter but
better-formatted one at [broken link] http://www.poets.org/LIT/poet/splath.htm

Dan Percival.

27 comments: ( or Leave a comment )

Kelli Rush said...

It's wonderful.

little stalk,
the zoo of the new
colors and ducks...

plath's claim to greatness is in this kind of straightforward writing.

Kelli Rush

Anonymous said...

Evocative and rebelling against some opression maybe internal

Anonymous said...

blahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Anonymous said...

what do you mean blahhhhhh? its amazing, shows innocwnce and how precious it is.

Anonymous said...

..AWESOME..

price per head online said...

I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles an i keep a nice post

John Morgan said...

I like your web! I was reading the news and I saw this really cool info…

Anonymous said...

this poem is AMAZING!!

Anonymous said...

Hello there! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give
a quick shout out and tell you I truly enjoy reading through your articles.
Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that go over the
same subjects? Thank you so much!

unsgu said...

Terimaksih telah berbagi infonya,,sukses selalu untuk info cara memperbesar penis and websitenya,,,and be the best to the next info,,

The Autoparts Shop said...

very informative.
https://www.theautopartsshop.com/sku/platinum-pro-rear-fuel-tank-ftk010654

Post a Comment