Subscribe: by Email | in Reader

In a Bath Teashop -- John Betjeman

       
(Poem #1810) In a Bath Teashop
 "Let us not speak, for the love we bear one another --
 Let us hold hands and look."
 She, such a very ordinary little woman;
 He, such a thumping crook;
 But both, for a moment, little lower than the angels
 In the teashop's ingle-nook.
-- John Betjeman
I must admit, when I first read this poem (several years ago), it did not
strike me as being particularly noteworthy. Pleasant enough, perhaps,
enjoyable and well-crafted as Betjeman always is, but more reminiscent of a
poem dashed off in an idle moment than anything really great.

And yet - there are some poems that my mind packs away, holding them in
readiness for the right trigger, when it will produce them with a flourish,
mostly for the sheer pleasure of finding an apt quotation, but as a welcome
side effect, giving me the chance to examine the poem in a new light.

"In a Bath Teashop" is one of those poems that I've found myself mentally
quoting on several occasions, but it was only yesterday, when a friend said
something that brought it to mind again, that I realised why my subconscious
at least had found it so memorable - it sums up a universal truth with
surprising simplicity and elegance, so much so, in fact, that its beauty is
entirely unobtrusive. Many of Betjeman's poems have a salient, sparkling
brilliance that impresses me anew each time I read them, and is, indeed, the
main reason I enjoy his poetry so much; today's poem, with its quiet
perfection, may not have struck me as forcibly, but over time I have come to
believe that it is one of his finest.

martin

44 comments: ( or Leave a comment )

Anonymous said...

thankss for thisd blog i love this poem its sums up my wife and i of 30 yeaRS

ภาพโป๊ said...

thankss for thisd blog i love this poem its sums up my wife and i of 30 yeaRS

ภาพโป๊ said...

thankss for thisd blog i love this poem its sums up my wife and i of 30 yeaRS

ภาพโป๊ said...

thankss for thisd blog i love this poem its sums up my wife and i of 30 yeaRS

หนังโป๊ออนไลน์ said...

thankss for thisd blog i love this poem its sums up my wife and i of 30 yeaRS

หนังโป๊ออนไลน์ said...

thankss for thisd blog i love this poem its sums up my wife and i of 30 yeaRS

หนังโป๊ออนไลน์ said...

thankss for thisd blog i love this poem its sums up my wife and i of 30 yeaRS

หนังโป๊ออนไลน์ said...

thankss for thisd blog i love this poem its sums up my wife and i of 30 yeaRS

หนังโป๊ออนไลน์ said...

thankss for thisd blog i love this poem its sums up my wife and i of 30 yeaRS

Invertir en oro said...

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about information and love
learning more on this.

Inversiones en petroleo said...

Hello. I would like to congratulate you for the post, is very good, also I like a lot of
reading and researching topics related to your post

kamagra said...

In a Bath Teashop is a short poem so that's really good sometimes I prefer poems like this one because it's really clear than others which are bigger and boring.m10m

Contoh Proposal Usaha Kecil said...

If you would like boost cash to the suitable lead to, think about a charitable golfing opposition. The game of golf tourneys develop superb may in addition to provide helpful attention to your overall lead to. The like it pusber

Unknown said...

Hi there. I really appreciate the points you made. I don't think I've actually thought about it in that way. I can really appreciate how you approached the subject matter and what you said really gave me a new perspective. Thanks for taking the time to write this all out.
Your opinion this blog:
Ternak Hewan
Merawat Burung Kenari
Kenari Kenari
Ikan Arwana
Ikan Mas Koki
Burung Parkit
Kandang Ayam

Anonymous said...

WHEN WAS THIS WRITTEN???

Unknown said...

It is then our intention to start the transition at two per month. Logistically it takes time to swap out a technician to a new van and we do not want to overwhelm ourselves, although the sooner we switch the sooner we start saving. f4x method pdf

Unknown said...

JSolusi yang tepat untuk mengobati penyakit wasir tanpa harus operasi, menggunakan obat wasir  Paling ampuh dari De Nature dan terbaik ada hanya di http://obatwasirme.blogspot.com untuk mendapatkan informasi yang lebih jelas mengenai pengobatan wasir silahkan kontak langsung di nomer 0852 808 77 999 atau 0859 7373 5656 Bagaimana mengobati Ambeien itu sendiri. pengobatan yang terbaik untuk Ambeien adalah dari luar dan dalam sehingga Ambeien benar benar tuntas dan tidak akan kambuh lagi. obat Ambeien terbaik "Ambeclear dari De Nature" Adalah obat Ambeien herbal yang memang terbaik untuk mengobati Ambeien, dan sudah terdaftar di badan obat dan makanan (BPOM) dengan nomer registrasi POM TR: 133 374 041. terbuat dari bahan alami antara lain terdiri Daung Ungu, Mahkota Dewa dan Kunyit Putih.

Unknown said...

Kutil pada alat kelamin luar bisa diangkat melalui laser, krioterapi (pembekuan) atau pembedahan dengan bius lokal. Pengobatan kimiawi, seperti podofilum resin atau racun yang dimurnikan atau asam trikloroasetat, bisa dioleskan langsung pada kutil. Tetapi pengobatan ini memerlukan waktu beberapa minggu sampai beberapa bulan, bisa melukai kulit di sekelilingnya dan sering gatal.

obat infeksi vagina said...

A variety of useful information to be listened to thank you very much yes to share the info Obat Nyeri Tulang Obat Penyakit Sesak Nafas Obat sakit pinggang Obat Ginjal Bengkak

Post a Comment