Subscribe: by Email | in Reader

Morning Song of Senlin -- Conrad Aiken

Guest poem submitted by Vikram Doctor:
(Poem #525) Morning Song of Senlin
 It is morning, Senlin says, and in the morning
 When the light drips through the shutters like the dew,
 I arise, I face the sunrise,
 And do the things my father learned to do.
 Stars in the purple dusk above the rooftops
 Pale in the saffron mist and seem to die
 And I myself upon a swiftly tilting planet
 Stand before a glass and tie my tie,

 Vine leaves tap my window,
 Dew-drops sing to the garden stones,
 The robin chirps in the chinaberry tree
 Repeating three clear tones.

 It is morning. I stand by the mirror
 And tie my tie once more.
 While waves far off in a pale rose twilight
 Crash on a white sand shore.
 I stand by a mirror and comb my hair:
 How small and white my face! -
 The green earth tilts through a sphere of air
 And bathes in a flame of space.
 There are houses hanging above the stars
 And stars hung under a sea...
 And a sun far off in a shell of silence
 Dapples my walls for me...

 It is morning, Senlin says, and in the morning
 Should I not pause in the light to remember god?
 Upright and firm I stand on a star unstable,
 He is immense and lonely as a cloud.
 I will dedicate this moment before my mirror
 To him alone, for him I will comb my hair.
 Accept these humble offerings, cloud of silence!
 I will think of you as I descend the star.

 Vine leaves tap my window,
 The snail track shines on the stones.
 Dew-drops flash from the chinaberry tree
 Repeating two clear tones.

 It is morning, I awake from a cloud of silence,
 Shining I rise from the starless waters of sleep.
 The walls are about me still as in the evening,
 I am the same, and the same name still I keep.

 The earth revolves around with me, yet makes no motion,
 The stars pale silently in a coral sky.
 In a whistling void I stand before my mirror,
 Unconcerned, and tie my tie.

 There are horses neighing on far-off hills
 Tossing their long white manes,
 And mountains flash in the rose-white dusk,
 Their shoulders black with the rains...
 It is morning. I stand by the mirror
 And surprise my soul once more;
 The blue air rushes above my ceiling,
 There are suns beneath my floor...

   ... it is morning, Senlin says, I ascend from darkness
 And depart on the winds of space for I know not where,
 My watch is wound, a key is in my pocket,
 And the sky is darkened as I descend the stair.
 There are shadows across the windows, clouds in heaven,
 And a god among the stars; and I will go
 Thinking of him as I might think of daybreak
 And humming a tune I know...

 Vine-leaves tap at the window,
 Dew-drops sing to the garden stones,
 The robin chirps in the chinaberry tree
 Repeating three clear tones.
-- Conrad Aiken
One of the most intensely musical poems I've read. The way Aiken keeps moving
from the individual to the cosmic and back again, seems to give it a wonderful
clear, crystalline feel. The phrases are wonderful: "swiftly tilting planet..."

Aiken isn't much known today, although his daughter Joan Aiken will be familiar
to fantasy and children's fiction buffs for her wonderful eerie stories. I've
only read one other work by him, but that was superb - his short story 'Silent
Snow, Secret Snow' which is hypnotic in how it describes a child's growing sense
of schizophrenia.

Vikram.

PS. While looking for background for this though I discovered that there's also
an Evening Song Of Senlin, which I'll give below. It perhaps explains why Aiken
seems to have remained a minor poet. It's a perfectly nice poem, but read in
conjunction with the Morning Song it starts to seem like much of a muchness. A
bit of trick effect, almost parodying itself.

'Evening Song of Senlin'

 It is moonlight. Alone in the silence
 I ascend my stairs once more,
 While waves, remote in a pale blue starlight,

 Crash on a white sand shore.
 It is moonlight. The garden is silent.
 I stand in my room alone.
 Across my wall, from the far-off moon,
 A rain of fire is thrown ...

 There are houses hanging above the stars,
 And stars hung under a sea:
 And a wind from the long blue vault of time
 Waves my curtain for me ...

 I wait in the dark once more,
 Swung between space and space:
 Before my mirror I lift my hands
 And face my remembered face.

 Is it I who stand in a question here,
 Asking to know my name? ...
 It is I, yet I know not whither I go,
 Nor why, nor whence I came.

 It is I, who awoke at dawn
 And arose and descended the stair,
 Conceiving a god in the eye of the sun, --
 In a woman's hands and hair.
 It is I whose flesh is gray with the stones
 I builded into a wall:
 With a mournful melody in my brain
 Of a tune I cannot recall . . .

 There are roses to kiss: and mouths to kiss;
 And the sharp-pained shadow of death.
 I remember a rain-drop on my cheek, --
 A wind like a fragrant breath . . .
 And the star I laugh on tilts through heaven;

 And the heavens are dark and steep . . .
 I will forget these things once more
 In the silence of sleep.

        -- Conrad Aiken

[Bio]

  b. Aug. 5, 1889, Savannah, Ga., U.S.
  d. Aug. 17, 1973, Savannah

in full CONRAD POTTER AIKEN American poet, short-story writer, novelist, and
critic whose works, influenced by early psychoanalytic theory, are concerned
largely with the human need for self-awareness. Aiken himself faced considerable
trauma in his childhood when he found the bodies of his parents after his father
had killed his mother and committed suicide. He later wrote of this in his
autobiography Ushant (1952).  Educated at private schools and at Harvard
University, where he was a friend and contemporary of T.S. Eliot (whose poetry
was to influence his own), Aiken divided his life almost equally between England
and the United States until 1947, when he settled in Massachusetts. He played a
significant role in introducing the work of American poets to the British
public. After three early collections of verse, he wrote five  symphonies"
between 1915 and 1920 in an effort to create poetry that would resemble music in
its ability to express several levels of meaning simultaneously. Then came a
period of narrative poems, several volumes of lyrics and meditations, and, after
World War II, a return to musical form but with richer philosophical and
psychological overtones. The best of his poetry is contained in Collected Poems
(1953), including a long sequence "Preludes to Definition," which some critics
consider his masterwork, and the often anthologized "Morning Song of Senlin."
Most of his fiction was written in the 1920s and '30s. Generally more successful
than his novels of this period were his short stories, notably "Strange
Moonlight" from Bring! Bring! (1925) and "Silent Snow, Secret Snow" and "Mr.
Arcularis" from Among the Lost People (1934). The Short Stories of Conrad Aiken
was published in 1950, followed by A Reviewer's ABC: Collected Criticism from
1916 to the Present (1958) and The Collected Novels (1964).

        -- EB

24 comments: ( or Leave a comment )

Anonymous said...

When you browse the Internet you will see the pet fashion websites stocking dog.
Since it's so cool and loose, you'll want to wear it
every day. Wholesale clothing offers you the opportunity
to save a substantial amount of money.

Here is my website - http://thecoolestclothes.co.uk/

Leo said...

The deeply touching lyricism of this poem is simply wonderful. Although you mention the evening song is not as good, I like to consider both of these poems, and all other senlin poems (there are in fact many) part of a wonderful whole that's too often fragmented by anthologists.

Unknown said...

Its really good information, i like your blog post. Thanks for sharing
Signature:
i like play happy wheels game online and play happy wheels games full and zombie tsunami apk , retrica download , retrica apk , happy wheels 2 , agario

Yepi4 said...

You need to kill time, you need entertainment. Refer to our website. hope you get the most comfort.
Thanks you for sharing!
http://www.friv-online.net Friv
http://www.friv-online.org Friv Games
http://www.Yepi4Girl.com Yepi 4
http://www.kizi4girl.com Kizi 4

Juegos Yoob said...

Kui nõukogu algatab soovituse esitamisega ülemäärase tasakaalunihke menetluse, peab selle menetluse lõpetama samalaadse õigusaktiga, st soovituse või otsusega, mis on kehtiv tervikuna/kehtiv selle adressaatidele.
Agario Spielen Elsa Spelletjes Giochi Minions Gry Agario Jeux De Agario
--------
Tänan Teid väga mõistva suhtumise eest ning jään ootama Teie seisukohta eespool nimetatud ühist huvi pakkuva teema suhtes.
Jeux De Elsa Jeux De Happy Wheels Juegos De Happy Wheels Juegos De Monkey Go Happy Juegos De Wheely

jogos yoob said...

Merci pour les deux pièces reçues la semaine dernière, et en particulier pour celle avec les contre-dépouilles.
five nights at candy's 2 five nights at freddy's fnaf 6 friv 10 friv2009
Je vous remercie, au nom également des autres membres du Conseil de fondation
Merci au groupe scout de la Molière pour la mise à disposition du matériel et merci à Philippe Mooser (président du groupe) pour le partage de ses connaissances durant cette journée.
friv2017 friv2018 friv 4 juegos de kick butowski friv 2019 yobb games
C'est notre façon de vous remercier de partager votre connexion !

Kesehatan said...

happy morning with sing a song

friv 2 said...

Ich würde mich freuen, wenn Sie uns auch künftig begleiten und danke Ihnen für Ihre Unterstützung und das in uns gesetzte Vertrauen friv12com.com friv5.asia jeuxdefriv2017.net juegosfriv2gratis.com friv2017.us

zoxygames.com said...

Die einmaligen reperti, die bilden können, sind eine gültige Hilfe im chronologischen Wiederaufbau angesiedelt die Keramikreperti, die in grober Quantität in Nähe Trigona wiedergefunden wurden juegosfriv2017.net kizi2017.net <a href="http://www.friv2017.us>friv2017.us</a>

Kata said...

thank you so much

Unknown said...

The blog or and best that is extremely useful to keep I can share the ideas
of the future as this is really what I was looking for, I am very comfortable and pleased to come here. Thank you very much.
wings io| earn to die 6
earn to die 5| happy wheels

Anonymous said...

Just come across here and I fell in love with your blog. What should I do now?girlsgogames

Unknown said...

You'd have time to look these kids active. Please visit our website and let us play the game interesting. Thanks for sharing !
Five Nights at Freddy’s | Happy Wheels | Friv 1000 | Kizi4

Friv 2018 said...

Insbesondere mochte ich Ihnen auch noch danken fur Ihre Arbeit bei der Mitentscheidung Jeux De Friv Jogos Friv Jogos Friv Danke, dafur dass Ihr jeden Tag mit uns die Hl. Messe gefeiert habt, fur all die Reparaturen im ganzen Haus Juegos Friv Juegos Friv Juegos De Friv fur Euere Bereitschaft Geometry Dash Juegos Twizl Kizi Yepi immer zur Verfugung zu stehen

Gin san said...

Really thank you. Thanks for sharing this quality information with us. I will definitely comeback. And If you like to play the games online, I will share with my friends the same reference and I'm glad to come here. Play other the Friv 10 player games online of 2018 and other Friv games for everyone love games at site Friv3play.net or our hot y8 games online for school on y8y8y8.games ! You can play the game in your browser directly.

Unknown said...

http://sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com/2013/04/me-made-may13-its-coming.html
https://parisvsnyc.blogspot.com/2010/10/la-nature.html?showComment=1539083439630#c2990069994954134297
http://love-aesthetics.blogspot.com/2013/12/l-i-f-e-visting-stories.html
http://edblog.community-boating.org/2012/05/gybing-friend-or-foe.html?showComment=1539083518148#c2703423703083662790
https://dinezhshetty.blogspot.com/2013/01/ios-ssh-over-usb.html?showComment=1539083544281#c4936801738516538705
https://relaxshacks.blogspot.com/2015/01/salvage-as-artdecor-some-tiny-house.html?showComment=1539083562797#c4506134851477758958
http://thehappynappybookseller.blogspot.com/2009/11/two-of-kind-jacqui-robbins-matt-phelan.html
https://culinary-adventures-with-cam.blogspot.com/2015/04/grilled-gruyere-on-rye-with-crisped.html?showComment=1539083670838#c9194930451700146165
https://googledirectorio.blogspot.com/2011/07/de-cruces-y-maleficios.html?showComment=1539083686301#c5853485539044677959
https://pennyred.blogspot.com/2011/11/new-website-new-city-new-post.html?showComment=1539083720135#c3997692556505367869

Percetakan said...

For those who like reading, this is definitely
a fun and cool place

Percetakan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Percetakan said...

“Very nice Band and give us to the spirit of reading and viewing this site” So good we give solutions for better here Thanks for the help

Post a Comment