Subscribe: by Email | in Reader

The Tavern -- Jalaluddin Rumi

From Samarkand, the Silk Road crosses the Pamirs and heads through Afghanistan
into Persia...
(Poem #513) The Tavern
 All day I think about it, then at night I say it.
 Where did I come from, and what am I supposed to be doing?
 I have no idea.
 My soul is from elsewhere, I'm sure of that,
 And I intend to end up there.

 This drunkenness began in some other tavern.
 When I get back around to that place,
 I'll be completely sober. Meanwhile,
 I'm like a bird from another continent, sitting in this aviary.
 The day is coming when I fly off,
 But who is it now in my ear who hears my voice?
 Who says words with my mouth?

 Who looks out with my eyes? What is the soul?
 I cannot stop asking.
 If I could taste one sip of an answer,
 I could break out of this prison for drunks.
 I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.
 Whoever brought me here will have to take me home.

 This poetry. I never know what I'm going to say.
 I don't plan it.
 When I'm outside the saying of it, I get very quiet and rarely speak at all.

 We have a huge barrel of wine, but no cups.
 That's fine with us. Every morning
 We glow and in the evening we glow again.

 They say there's no future for us. They're right.
 Which is fine with us.
-- Jalaluddin Rumi
(Excerpted from The Essential Rumi, translations by Coleman Barks with John
Moyne, 1995).

A beautiful and subtle meditation - the utter simplicity of Rumi's words
enhances the power of his creation. It's said that Rumi's mystical quatrains
were composed in a state of exaltation; as Britannica puts it, "... a state of
ecstasy, induced by the music of the flute or the drum, the hammering of the
goldsmiths, or the sound of the water mill in Meram, where Rumi used to go with
his disciples to enjoy nature."

thomas.

[Links]

Today's poem shares more than just a title with Harivanshrai Bachchan's
wonderful 'Madhushala (The Tavern)', which you can read in Sameer Siruguri's
superb translation at poem #72

There's more about Rumi (and about Persian/Urdu poetry in general) in the
commentary accompanying 'Spring Giddiness', at poem #473

Previous stops along the Silk Road:
Li Po, 'About Tu Fu', poem #505
Christopher Marlowe, 'Lament for Zenocrate', poem #507
James Elroy Flecker, 'The Golden Road to Samarkand', poem #510

[Moreover]

Rumi was the Emperor Akbar's favourite poet; Akbar, the greatest of the Great
Mughals, was a direct descendant of Timur. Yet another sign of the fundamental
interconnectedness of all things.

5 comments: ( or Leave a comment )

Anonymous said...

My father loved this poem...I loved my father.

Unknown said...

Sign up for your current decrease decrease eyelashes in case ideal, that can in the long run help you make chanel replica handbags your current sight search even bigger. Pertaining to best benefits be sure your applicator comb can be painted using tag heuer replica the correct volume of mascara option, being sure that it's unlikely that any in the bright in the comb remains to be demonstrating even though making use of an extra cover involving mascara will certainly build a additional powerful search. Consequently What are attributes of employing Chanel's Inimitable Mascara? This specific mascara is truly does along with replica watches uk provides a fairly easy, complex eyes lash search using minor hard work. Your mascara option can be easy, your applicator comb is simple nevertheless powerful along with important your prada replica substances that make way up this specific mascara are designed to always be variety for a eyelashes, aiding retaining rolex replica watches these people throughout courtesy in lieu of generating these people brittle along with challenging. The idea also comes in simply made dark-colored Chanel housing using louis vuitton replica your worldwide recognisable symbol, lean padded along with classy, having the capacity to quickly go with your current tote.

Blog Remaja said...

Good article, thanks for sharing
send regards for success

Post a Comment