Subscribe: by Email | in Reader

Her Beauty -- Max Plowman

       
(Poem #551) Her Beauty
 I heard them say, "Her hands are hard as stone,"
 And I rememebred how she laid for me
 The road to heaven. They said, "Her hair is grey."
 Then I remembered how she once had thrown
 Long plaited strands, like cables, into the sea
 I battled in -- the salt sea of dismay.
 They say, "Her beauty's past." And then I wept,
 That these, who should have been in love adept,
 Against my font of beauty should blaspheme.
 And hearing a new music, miss the theme.
-- Max Plowman
One of the delightful things about love poetry is its endless series of
variations on even the most timeworn themes. Today's poem, for instance, has
been foreshadowed by a countless series of poems on love, beauty and aging,
but nonetheless manages to strike its own individual note.

Form: Iambic pentameter, rhyming abcabcddee. Does anyone know if this is a
'named' verse form?

Biographical Notes:

I couldn't find much on Plowman online - he seems to be best known for his
book 'An Introduction to the Study of Blake', and to have added his voice to
the canon of WW1 poets, but that's all I could dig up. If anyone knows
anything more (dates would be nice, for instance) do send it in.

-martin

9 comments: ( or Leave a comment )

Cosmetic Surgeons India said...

just want to thank you a great deal for this intriguing write up.

msc dissertation examples said...

He appears to be most excellent known for his book,

Vaginal Mesh Lawyer News said...

If his book is as beautiful as his poem, then for sure I will be looking for a copy of that book. I always find it very inspiring to hear of people share their artistic talents to others. Hope to hear his other works.

m88 news said...

People are talking a lot about captaincy of Manchester m88.com
will give Rooney. However, even without getting ice sheet, with that said and done, Van Gaal is set up England striker major responsibilities in the role of a leader M88 both inside and outside the pitch. With a long term process of an internal player, M88 class and devotion, no one more deserving Rooney in this role.

Anonymous said...

Why users still make use of to read news papers when in this technological globe everything is existing on web?


My web blog - Refuel Extreme

Farah Yunus said...

You can find the best law of attraction training section on the Robert Anthony page and access all learning stages from the Learning chapter.

Cipro said...

I like this post.It looked fascinating and I chose to investigate each substance and I read yours. My compliment about this blog is exceptionally positive I visit this blog first time and inspire by this good stuff work at Friv 2020 online. Incredible post keeps up posting such great information. Thanks!

Post a Comment