Subscribe: by Email | in Reader

Dream Interpretation -- Piet Hein

(Poem #1653) Dream Interpretation

 Everything's either
 concave or -vex,
 so whatever you dream
 will be something with sex.
-- Piet Hein
"Epigrammatic" is too weak a word for today's poem - it is one of those
poems that seems to have been written to be quoted. It has that combination
of insight and pithy phrasing that make it almost irresistible to drop
into a discussion wherever appropriate (and often when not!), and needless
to say, I have been far from immune to the temptation. (Anecdotally, it
really does work to get someone off that particular hobbyhorse - there is
nothing much one can say in reply to it.)

I suspect part of my liking for the poem is the fact that Hein shares my
annoyance with the overpervasive aspects of dream interpretation and Freudian
psychology (in another of his grooks he says

  She gave me hope
  she gave me love,
    with bounty unalloyed.
  But what she had of faith,
    she gave to Freud.

which leaves his feelings on the matter in little doubt). I also love his
ability to sum up an entire argument in a few well-chosen words (a talent
that is very much in evidence throughout his body of work) - there is a
satisfaction to watching him at work that is quite independent of which side
of the argument he's chosen.

That said, I must admit I like this more as a quote than as a poem - the
verse itself feels slightly 'off', so it's not as much fun to recite as some
of Hein's other grooks. Nevertheless, it's definitely one of the more
memorable ones.


38 comments: ( or Leave a comment )

sildenafil said...

This is my lasted poem, I hope you like it dear blogger.

I do not like the silly poem,
I do not like the angsty poem,
I do not like the ridiculous poem,
I do not like the damned poem,
I just wanna be like him.
I just wanna be like her
I just wanna dance with them
yeap yeap yeap 23jj


Anonymous said...

Jendela UPVC | Promo Diskon | Harga Tiket Pesawat | Social Bookmarking | Tiket Pesawat Murah | Tiket Pesawat Online

Kim Kardashian Bugil | wallpaper lucu | Ultrabook Notebook Tipis Harga Murah Terbaik | Info Terkini | Harga Notebook | Jasa Seo | Jasa Seo | apa seo | JASA SEO | Layanan Seo | Konsultan Seo | All about Behel atau Kawat Gigi manfaat,perawatan dan larangannya lengkap

I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy. I think it may be help all of you. Thanks.

coach outlet said...

Here we play with all sorts of influences - coach factory outlet of desired shapes tiffany jewelry to prioritize the tiffany and co manner in which I go about finding what I need," the coach factory outlet tells Ecouterre.More than 1,000 runners began the race.Not just in true religion jeans, but also in making sure you stay happy until the cheap jerseys rain every day. Hey, $350 is way less than those coach outlet. For those unfamiliar, the coach factory online (only the first coach factory count toward the rankings this year) in coach outlet online carry all their own alexander wang shoes for a daily water ration and michael kors outlet tent to sleep under;The coach factory outlet is yours, but coach factory outlet is to just be yourself and be coach outlet store online.The sleek ensemble came on show through sac burberry. Choose from brands like Bernardo, michael kors outlet and others.which saw everything he could to shake off that 'alexander wang bags' image, just got the treatment from the michael kors himself, marc by marc jacobs outlet department. the company was coach factory outlet online that it can really tell that you're turned on, so michael kors should definitely be saved for the bedroom.which has seen him take on projects from labels like michael kors outlet online, to things like designing boats.

Anonymous said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this interesting and knowledgeable | | | | | | | | | |

William Smith said...

Thanks for the sharing, this blog is very intersting. ELECTRONIC AND COMMUNICATION | Women Health Treatment | It's very informarmative and very knowladgeable blog.

obat perangsang said...

thanks for the info very interesting, hopefully the more successful his future with the best results. greetings by jual alat bantu sex, alat bantu sex wanita dan alat bantu seksual pria.

MySaudiJobs said...

This is awesome content mate, thank-you. find job in saudi arabia here.


Jobs In Jeddah

Electrical Engineer Jobs in Saudi


Amad Arsal said...

I appreciate everything you have added to my knowledge.Thanks.

Noel Carney said...

This is really good information I have visited this blog to read something fresh and I really admire you efforts in doing so Logitrain

media baang said...

wonderful and nice blog

Obat Herbal said...

Seberat apapun beban masalah yang kamu hadapi saat ini, percayalah bahwa semua itu tidak pernah melebihi batas kemampuan kamu. said...

It is really informative blog.I hope you will share more interesting articles with us.
Thanks for this.

Post a Comment